Sunday, November 22, 2009

Toasted Oats

By Kathryn Washburn Breighner

I'm an oatmeal fan and enjoy all kinds except for the stuff in the packets (with all the chemicals) that is microwaved. Steel cut oats are nutty and have a taste of their own.. I typically use whole oats, not quick, for my morning oatmeal--in a bowl with water to cover, a dash of salt and cinnamon and microwaved on medium power for six minutes. I prefer stove top oatmeal (cooked in a pan on the stove) but if time is short, the slow microwave method works.

Toasted oats are simple and have a crunchy, explode-in-your-mouth taste. I make my own granola which is similar to this recipe only with more additions like cinnamon or nuts.  Toasted oats will keep for weeks in an airtight container and are good with milk, yogurt or just to eat out of your hand as a snack.

4 c whole oatmeal
1/4 c maple syrup--the real stuff from the tree, not the fake stuff with corn syrup & imitation maple

Heat the maple syrup for 30 seconds in the microwave, just enought to thin it a bit. In a large bowl, mix the two ingredients until the oatmeal is coated.  Pour onto a baking sheet in a thin layer. I use one baking sheet for this 4c recipe.

Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30-40 min. stirring occassionally until the oats are browned.

No comments: