Monday, November 2, 2009

Corn Chowder

By Kathryn Washburn Breighner

After raking leaves all day yesterday, I wanted somthing warm and filling. I looked in the refrigerator and saw some bacon and the last of this season's local sweet corn. Hum, corn chowder.  I also have quite a supply of gorgeous, multi colored potatoes that I dug from the garden, onions and green peppers from the garden and fresh thyme. Perfect--dinner!

This is an easy and tasty chowder.  You'll need:

6 pieces of bacon
1 med onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 c fresh cut corn, or frozen corn, thawed
2 c potatoes cut into 1/2" pieces
1 c chicken stock
3 c milk

1 t fresh thyme
salt and pepper
1 c grated cheddar cheese

Saute the bacon, removed to paper towel to drain. I poured off all but 1 T bacon grease and briefly sauteed the onion and pepper--about 3 minutes, and then removed to paper towel to drain. But yes, these veggies could be sauteed in olive oil--my Indiana roots prevailed.

Into a pan, add the corn, potatoes, stock, milk and seasonings and bring to a simmer using medium heat. When the milk begins to simmer, add the peppers and onions. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the grated cheese and stir until melted.  I did not add a thickening agent like flour because there is natural starch from the potatoes; the cheese thickened the chowder, too.

I served the steaming bowls of chowder with cornbread made with Spring Mill State Park cornmeal--great meal!

Here's the link from a previous post for Cornbread Roxie:

Cornbread Roxie

No comments: