Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Stir Fried Bok Choy

By Kathryn Washburn Breighner

I have bok choy and green onions in the garden right now so I put them together into a tasty dish. Ginger is something I usually have in my refrigerator. I love the combination of the smell and slight heat as well as the almost sweet taste it adds to foods.

8 cups chopped bok choy
4 green onions, minced, greens included
1 T ginger, minced
2 T olive oil

I used about 8 cups of bok choy and since it is really new, fresh bok choy, I have mostly the leafy parts and not much of the stalks. I trimmed the huge leaves into strips about 1" wide and 6-8" long and chopped the stalks separately.

Saute the ginger in the olive oil for about a minute. Add to it the stalks and green onions and quickly stir for another minute and then add the greens. Stir fry until all the greens begin to soften, 3-4 minutes.

Then add:
2T soy sauce
1 1/2 t sugar
salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper

Stir another minute and then add 3-4 T of water, cover, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until all the liquid is cooked off. Add 1 1/2 t of sesame oil and toss before serving.

No comments: