Friday, January 2, 2009

Turkey Pot Pie

By Kathryn Washburn Breighner

My friend Carolyn is the pot pie queen. If you have a craving for really wonderful pot pies, visit Carolyn's website, www.goodhartstore.com
, where you can order her chicken pot pies. So in trying to live up to her standards, I made a turkey pot pie tonight. It scored an A+.

We had leftover turkey, about 2 cups of bite size pieces, that I tossed with:
4 cubed potatoes
1 c chopped carrots
2 chopped celery stalks
1 chopped onion.

We also had leftover turkey gravy; but I've done this before without the gravy and just made a roux of flour and oil and then stirred in seasonings and chicken stock to make a thick stock. I thinned the gravy with milk, about 2/3 gravy to 1/3 milk, tossed this with all of the ingredients using enough gravy to just coat all of the ingredients and poured into a large pie plate. I used about 1 1/2 cups of gravy/milk mixture. Because the gravy was already seasoned, I didn't need to add additional salt or pepper.

Then, of course, came Mom's pie crust recipe. Since I was also making pumpkin pecan pie tonight, I made a double crust and used one for the dessert pie and the other for this pie. I topped the turkey mixture with the pie crust, cut 6 small slits in the crust, and baked at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. There is not a bite left for leftovers!

No comments: