Friday, January 30, 2009

Borchst

By Kathryn Washburn Breighner

When I was in Russia a few years ago with cousin Jan Washburn, we had various versions of borscht. I was hooked. The complexity of flavors surprised me as did the use of fresh dill in this stew. So here is my version:

Brown 1 1/2 pounds of stew meat--I used caribou, just run down to your local butcher and make sure he/she trims the fat off the caribou. I had it in my freezer just as, I'm sure, you do--doesn't everyone?

To the browned meat add these ingredients and simmer for 90 minutes:
10 cups beef broth, Penzey's, of course
1 can tomato paste
salt and pepper

Saute in 2 T olive oil and then add to the pot:
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced

Add to pot:
2 c shredded cabbage
2 c peeled and shredded beets
1 c shredded carrots
1 c thinly sliced celery
2 T fresh dill
1 t celery seed
4 bay leaves
2 t sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Simmer 45-60 minutes until thick. This is a rich red and orange colored dish and oh, so tasty. Top with a dollop of sour cream and fresh dill.

This makes a lot!

No comments: