Friday, January 2, 2009

2nd chance: Sourdough Pancakes

By Perry Washburn

I happened to have leftover sourdough pancakes in my fridge. Now, sourdough would be a fun topic for later. Worth noting now, though, that my starter, and my pancakes, are really sharp and soury. And, I am the KING of repurposing food. So, I made:

Sourdough pancake appetizers
10 leftover sourdough pancakes
1 cup shredded smoked swiss
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tbs finely diced onion
1 Tbs finely dices capers

I mixed the sour cream, the onions and capers. I heated one of my griddles with a bit of oil. Shredded some smoked swiss cheese. The pancakes, unlike conventional pancakes, are thin and remain moist and pliable. I placed 5 on the hot griddle, topped with some cheese, and placed another cake on top of each. After the bottoms were rebrowning and the cheese was beginning to melt, I flipped them quesadilla style. When the other side is rebrowned and the cheese melted, I put them on a cutting board to "rest." (A tip from my pizza making life: let cheese rest for a couple of minutes after baking it, or it will run everywhere.)

Cut each cake into four pieces, put on a pretty plate, top each triangle with a dollop of the sour cream mixture. Presto: appetizer. My family thought I was a genius. And I was just trying to get rid of a bag of pancakes!

No comments: