Sunday, October 18, 2009

Freezing Peppers

By Kathryn Washburn Breighner

We still have a large quantity of peppers from the garden but they will not hold much longer. Last winter, we took a 'we are bored' road trip to Ann Arbor, 4 hours, to go to Trader Joe's. One of the new items I discovered on that trip: frozen pepper pieces.

Much to our surprise, they worked well in many dishes and with red peppers often $3 each in the winter, these frozen peppers added color and flavor without the cost.

Yesterday, I froze 3 quarts of chopped pepper pieces and look forward to tossing them into food next winter. Here's what I did:

Cleaned and chopped both red and green peppers. I then placed them in a single layer, no overlapping pieces, on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for about an hour. Then I loosened the pieces from the cookie sheet--they were stuck to it--with a spatula and scooped into a quart size freezer bag. They look gorgeous!

2 comments:

Treva Mitchell said...

Hi,
Try chopping the peppers, then placing them in a single layer on paper towels. Roll up like a buritto and hold tight for one minute. Then proceed on with the single layer on the cookie sheet to freeze. This will keep the peppers from being "watery" when you use them in the future.

Three Washburns In The Kitchen said...

Great suggestion! I have more peppers to freeze so I will try this.