Monday, June 21, 2010

Lemon Sorbet

By Kathryn Washburn Breighner


Wow. What a spectacular dessert. I had a taste in my mouth for lemon sorbet and I had not made this before. I picked up 4 lemons on the way home and juiced them. This gave me 1 1/4 c of lemon juice so to that I added equal parts of water and sugar.

I brought to a simmer:
1 1/4 c sugar
1 1/4 c water

While it was coming to a boil, I juiced the lemons and cut off 4 one-inch pieces of lemon zest and then zested another 1 1/4 T.  I added the one inch pieces of zest to the water/sugar mix as it was warming up. Note the proportions: 1 1/4 c water, juice, sugar and 1 1/4 T lemon zest. So if you have more or less juice, match it with these proportions.

I chilled the water/sugar/zest pieces mixture and also the freshly squeezed juice and zest. Once they were chilled, I blended them together, removing the 1" pieces, and put it into an ice cream machine. 20 minutes later, I had a thick sorbet which I put into a container and then into the freezer.

The flavor in this sorbet: spectacular! And easy, too.....

I chilled both the squeezed juice mixed with the zest.

No comments: