Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rhubarb Pie

By Kathryn Washburn Breighner

There is nothing fancy about this pie: it's just rhubarb, sugar and flour in a superb crust. And I made one for a silent auction yesterday that sold for $75!!

In the last year, I have been chilling my crust before rolling it out. This makes it easy to roll out and the chilled shortening--and I have been using 1/3 c shortening with 1/3 c lard--explodes when it hits the oven's heat which makes it flaky.  I made this crust the night before, rolled it out and put it in the pie plate and added to it:

6 c chopped rhubarb
1/3 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar

The top crust was rolled and placed on top of the fruit. I baked it at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes and then at 355 degrees F for 40 minutes.  When I took it to the fund raiser, it was still hot and smelled heavenly!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kathy - congratulations on your wonderful pie! Looks as though you and your brothers are having a lot of fun in the kitchen.
from another former Boswell kid, Courtney Cooper Lombardi