Monday, March 1, 2010

Spinach Cream Sauce

By Perry Washburn

This is the sauce I made for my gnocchi, below. A lot like an Alfredo, this is a multipurpose sauce that has enough style to work in many situations. I made it first, without the brie (one of my pals can do cream but not cheese) for gnocchi. I added the brie for later attempts. I added some fresh shrimp at the end of the cooking and made this a pizza topping (covered wth aged Gouda!). Yum! And, I used leftovers from that as omlet filling the next day.

2 cups chopped spinach
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup cream
2 1/2 ounces creme de brie (a spreadable brie)
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1/2-1 tsp paprika
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Melt the butter over medium heat in a skillet. Add cream and brie, stirring until smooth Add remaining ingredients and saute until spinach is wilted.

No comments: